[Mimedefang] Adding mimedefang to sendmail's startup script

Lisa Casey lisa at jellico.com
Tue Jul 31 17:43:27 EDT 2007

Hi,

I'm going to leave my earlier email intact at the bottom of this one because
I think it's related to this.

Since installing mimedefang on this FreeBSD box, when I reboot it there's
something screwy going on when sendmail starts up. It's got something to do
with startup scripts and either something I've failed to do or something
I've done incorrectly. Before installing mimedefang, sendmail started fine
on bootup. Now when I reboot the box I get this in /var/log/maillog:

Jul 31 17:19:20 mail sm-mta[399]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): opendaemonsocket:
daemon IPv4: cannot bind: Address al
ready in use
Jul 31 17:19:20 mail sm-mta[399]: daemon IPv4: problem creating SMTP socket
Jul 31 17:19:25 mail sm-mta[399]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): opendaemonsocket:
daemon IPv4: cannot bind: Address al
ready in use

and this in /var/log/messages:

Jul 31 17:19:30 mail sm-mta[399]: daemon IPv4: problem creating SMTP socket
Jul 31 17:19:35 mail sm-mta[399]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): opendaemonsocket:
daemon IPv4: cannot bind: Address al
ready in use
Jul 31 17:19:35 mail sm-mta[399]: daemon IPv4: problem creating SMTP socket
Jul 31 17:19:35 mail sm-mta[399]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): opendaemonsocket:
daemon IPv4: server SMTP socket wedged: exiting

It looks like perhaps sendmail is being started twice???

and these just repeat over and over. The only way to fix it is to log into
the box and manually stop sendmail, manually stop mimedefang, then manually
start mimedefang and manually start sendmail. Naturally, this isn't very
acceptable. If you folks could help me solve this issue I think I'ld have
sendmail and mimedefang working together nicely.

Thanks again,

Lisa Casey