[Mimedefang] Adding mimedefang to sendmail's startup script

Lisa Casey lisa at jellico.com
Tue Jul 31 15:31:57 EDT 2007

Hi Folks,

Thanks for your responses to my earlier questions today. It was a big help.
I have (hopefully) one more question for anyone here who is using Mimedefang
on FreeBSD.

I need to add mimedefang to sendmails startup script so that mimedefang will
start before sendmail starts and stop after sendmail stops. On my Redhat box
I edited  /etc/rc.d/sendmail and put /etc/init.d/mimedefang start just
before the script starts sendmail and put /etc/init.d/mimedefang stop just
after the script stops sendmail. Thus if I want to start sendmail, I type
/etc/rc.d/sendmail start and get:

[root at Raydeus-Dee init.d]# ./sendmail start
Starting mimedefang-multiplexor:                            [  OK  ]
Starting mimedefang:                                        [  OK  ]
Starting sendmail: [  OK  ]

and if I wish to stop sendmail, I type /etc/rc.d/sendmail stop and get:

[root at Raydeus-Dee init.d]# ./sendmail stop
Shutting down sendmail: [  OK  ]
Shutting down mimedefang:                                   [  OK  ]
Shutting down mimedefang-multiplexor:                       [  OK  ]

I'm a bit confused on the FreeBSD box though. There is a /etc/rc.d/sendmail
file but it is dissimiliar to the /etc/rc.d/sendmail file on the Redhat box
and it's not apparent to me where this script starts and stops the sendmail
daemon. There's also a /etc/rc.sendmail script but I think this script isn't
being used because in it it says:

# This script is used by /etc/rc at boot time to start sendmail.  It
# is meant to be sendmail specific and not a generic script for all
# MTAs.  It is only called by /etc/rc if the rc.conf mta_start_script is
# set to /etc/rc.sendmail.  This provides the opportunity for other MTAs
# to provide their own startup script.

and my /etc/rc.conf doesn't mention using this startup script. In
/etc/rc.conf the only lines relating to sendmail are:

sendmail_enable="YES"
sendmail_pidfile="/var/run/sendmail.pid"
sendmail_flags="-L sm-mta -bd -q30m"

Which file do I need to modify in FreeBSD so that mimedefang will start just
before sendmail starts and stop just after sendmail stops?
/etc/rc.d/sendmail or /etc/rc.sendmail? And if it is /etc/rc.d/sendmail
could someone tell me just where in that file I should put the mimedefang
stuff because, as I said, it is not apparent to me just where in that file
sendmail is started and stopped.

Thanks,

Lisa Casey