[Mimedefang] multiplexor error

Paul Murphy Paul.Murphy at argentadiscovery.com
Mon Jul 30 16:01:37 EDT 2007

An,

>>> "An.H.Nguyen" <annguyen251 at hotmail.com> 30/07/2007 17:56 >>>
> I keep getting these errors when I turn on AWL.

> Jul 28 10:38:55  mimedefang-multiplexor[1223]: [ID 980602 mail.info] Slave 0
> stderr: auto-whitelist: open of auto-whitelist file failed: locker:
> safe_lock: cannot create lockfile

> /var/spool/MIMEDefang/auto_whitelist.mutex: Permission denied
> Jul 28 10:39:02  mimedefang-multiplexor[1223]: [ID 980602 mail.info] Slave 0
> stderr: auto-whitelist: open of auto-whitelist file failed: locker:
> safe_lock: cannot create lockfile

This is a known issue with SpamAssassin's AWL feature - basically, flock() is designed for non-NFS-safe locking in a single-threaded environment, but MD is multi-threaded, and there are race issues between checking whether a lock file exists, and trying to create one.  As your system load increases, the likelihood of it happening grows.

Search the archives for this - it has come up several times.

Try it with the "lock_method flock" line commented out, and see whether this resolves the problem.

Best Wishes,

Paul.

Paul Murphy
Head of I.T.