[Mimedefang] GPLv3

Stephen L Johnson stephen.johnson at arkansas.gov
Mon Jul 2 17:39:24 EDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-06-30 at 22:29 -0700, John Rudd wrote:
> Richard Laager wrote:

> I wonder how hard it would be (and how acceptable it would be) to add
> some verbiage that patches submitted to MIMEDefang for inclusion in the
> project become the property of you and/or Roaring Penguin, solely for
> the purpose of ensuring that these issues don't become a problem.  That,
> or you'll have to start tracking individual contributors for the purpose
> of ensuring that license changes are acceptable.

That may or may not hold up depending on local copyright laws. In the US
you have to have an Instrument of Conveyance which identifies the works
and to whom they go to. For example, the FSF requires you to fill out
such a form for even the smallest  of patches to any FSF software
package. I've seen such clauses in many site EULAs. I hate them with a
passion. So I'm very interested see those clauses challenged in the US.

--
Stephen L Johnson  <stephen.johnson at arkansas.gov>
Unix Systems Administrator / DNS Hostmaster