[Mimedefang] GPLv3

John Rudd john at rudd.cc
Sun Jul 1 01:29:38 EDT 2007

David F. Skoll wrote:
> Richard Laager wrote:

>> If you (Roaring Penguin) have accepted patches, you are not the sole
>> copyright holder, unless you received a copyright assignment for every
>> patch that's substantial enough to receive copyright protection (which
>> is an issue I'm not qualified to talk about).
>
> We have not accepted substantial patches.  The only patches we've
> accepted have been minor bug fixes or additions for new virus scanners
> that closely follow the basic pattern of our existing virus-scanning
> code.  We also typically rework submitted patches for various reasons,
> rather than accepting them verbatim.

I wonder how hard it would be (and how acceptable it would be) to add
some verbiage that patches submitted to MIMEDefang for inclusion in the
project become the property of you and/or Roaring Penguin, solely for
the purpose of ensuring that these issues don't become a problem.  That,
or you'll have to start tracking individual contributors for the purpose
of ensuring that license changes are acceptable.