[Mimedefang] Questions about stream_by_recipient and problems it creates.

Matthew Schumacher matt.s at aptalaska.net
Tue Jan 23 17:36:43 EST 2007

Jan-Pieter Cornet wrote:

> A fourth option is to introduce a "spam folder", where you file
> suspected spams. We already use this currently. Then if you cannot
> reject an email for one user (because another user does want to
> receive the email), flag the message to be delivered to the
> spam folder.

This doesn't work because most of the people using the mail system use
POP3.  I would love for people to ditch pop3, but due to poor support
for IMAP in "widely-used-but-marginal" (as David puts it) clients make
IMAP pretty lame.

> Or combine this with option 3 by david, and introduce another
> threshhold score above which you can junk messages instead of
> delivering or rejecting them.
>
> Oh, and a fifth option is to detect this possibility at filter_recipient
> time, and tempfail recipients that have a filter profile that isn't
> on par with the filter of the first recipient. Optionally only for
> hosts that have some sort of flag set.

This is an interesting idea, temp-failing recipients with dissimilar
spam settings, but due to lame email clients, it sounds like it would be
a lot of trouble.

Anyway thanks for the thoughts, they have me thinking about other options.

schu