[Mimedefang] On pinheaded ISP's (sort of OT)

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Wed Jan 31 13:29:00 EST 2007

Sven Willenberger <sven at dmv.com> wrote on 01/31/2007 01:04:26 PM:

> While the AOL feedback loop can be useful occasionally to track down a
> spammer on our end, I find that most of the submissions are completely
> unwarranted. I constantly see things like "Hi jim, just lettin you know
> betty recovered fine from her operation", or holiday photos, or even
> confirmation of orders the aol user placed being reported. There is no
> accountibility placed on the AOL users (i.e. a weighting system that
> says that what user A reports as spam is generally very much spam while
> User B tends to report almost everything as spam regardless of content).
> It only becomes an issue when there are enough User B's there to cause
> temporary blacklisting of our outbound mailservers . . .

On a Listserv list, it was mentioned that the delte button and the report
as spam buttons are very close together in the AOL client, leading to a
lot of false reporting.  Too bad they don't require confirmation when you
click the reportas spam button.  If their spam filters are as effective as
they claim, this shouldn't be a big deal.