[Mimedefang] On pinheaded ISP's (sort of OT)

John john at jjgb.com
Wed Jan 31 13:05:09 EST 2007

At 10:16 AM 1/31/2007, you wrote:
>On Mon, 2007-01-29 at 14:10 -0700, Philip Prindeville wrote:
> >
> > If they want to know where it originated, then they will have to
> > go through *their* logs and follow the bread-crumb trail
> > back to the point of origin.
> >

>    Here is an example of why that does not give enough information.  AOL
>has a service where I (as email administrator for our domain) can get
>what's called a "Feedback Loop" which basically means that I get email
>whenever an AOL user clicks "This is spam" on email that originates from
>our campus.  Problem is, they strip out all identifying information about
>the subscriber that made the complaint.  Now I can *somtimes* figure out
>enough information from my sendmail logs to see what the problem is, but
>here is something that happens all the time:  Mailing list has 100
>subscribers, 23 of which are AOL addresses.  AOL subscriber decides he
>doesn't want to be on the list any more so rather that unsubscribing, he
>just clicks "This is spam".  I get the Feedback Loop email from AOL.  I
>can see who sent the original email, and the contents of the message, but
>sendmail just shows me that it went to 23 aol.com addresses and I have no
>idea which one complained.  So how do I fix that?  I thought the Feedback
>Loop was a good feature, but all it is is an annoyance because I don't
>have enough information to remedy the complaint.
>
>Jim McCullars
>University of Alabama in Huntsville

Man, Truer Words Were Never Spoken!  I have the same issue here at work...

John Jaeger - Billings, Montana

EMail To	: <mailto:john at jjgb.com>
Home Page	: <http://www.jjgb.com>

PGP:
RSA Key ID: 0xAAEC7751  <http://www.jjgb.com/public_files/RSA_Key.zip>

"Our liberty is protected by four boxes...
     The ballot box, the jury box, the soap box, and the cartridge box."
                                    - Anonymous

"Soap Box" didn't work, now using the "Cartridge Box" 3/20/2003