[Mimedefang] Re: Spam filtered twice

Yizhar Hurwitz yizhar at mail.com
Mon Jan 29 14:04:36 EST 2007

HI.
> From: Pierre Forget <pierre at pierreforget.com>
>
> When my mail server receives an email which has already been filtered
> by Mimedefang on another server (and considered Spam), it deletes the
> X-Spam-Score line which have been installed by the other server. So,
> the email goes through even though it's Spam.

Well, if you wish to keep the first header, you can do the following in
your mimedefang filter:

Use this:
action_add_header("X-Spam-Score", "$hits ($score) $names");

Instead of this:
action_change_header("X-Spam-Score", "$hits ($score) $names");

But anyway - you should normally trust and use your whatever score your
own server is calculating for the message,
and use that info to decide what to do with the message.
If you wish to filter spam on an upstream mail server - well, you should
simply change the configuration of that server to do so and so with
detected spam.

Do you get my point?

> Which brings another question: how do I make sure that an outgoing
> email from my server doesn't go out if Mimedefang considered it as Spam?

If the email is filterred by mimedefang, you can do whatever you decide
with it, optionally the same decisions and actions that apply to
incoming mail.
It is up to you to decide, and then implement it in your filter.
If you can provide more information and background about your question,
maybe we can better help you.
Please note that we don't know what you currently have in your own
custom mimedefang-filter file,
nor we cannot guess how your MD box fit in the whole picture
(is it a mail relay in front of other mail server, is it on the mail
server itself, are you an ISP or SMB etc).

Yizhar Hurwitz
http://yizhar.mvps.org