[Mimedefang] Questions about stream_by_recipient and problems it creates.

Matthew Schumacher matt.s at aptalaska.net
Tue Jan 23 17:30:24 EST 2007

David F. Skoll wrote:

> Our commercial CanIt-PRO product uses a third solution:
>
> 3) If all recipients have the same settings and rules, reject the spam
> in filter_end.  Otherwise, remail copies.  If an e-mail originating
> from 127.0.0.1 is rejected as spam, we call action_discard instead of
> action_bounce.  Three years ago, I would have said this was a bad solution
> because it silently discarded e-mail.  Today, unfortunately, I am of the
> opinion that it's the only viable way.
>
> Regards,
>
> David.

Noooooooooooo!!!!!!  Not silently discard!!!!

I don't know if I can bring myself to do that, occasionally we have
problems with false positives, so silently dropping mail would seriously
aggravate the issue.  People around here depend on the bounce messages.

Perhaps a better solution for me would be to to make filter_end accept
if any one user accepts it, then for the users that reject it, call
delete_recipient then email the sender an error message from mimedefang
sourced from a black hole account.  This would prevent me from
processing the message more than once and would also allow me much more
control over the bounce message where I would only quote the subject to
reduce bandwidth and render bounce back spam useless due to the missing
payload.

Thoughts?

schu