[Mimedefang] Not embedding Perl performance

Jeff Rife mimedefang at nabs.net
Sun Jan 21 15:32:57 EST 2007

With MD 2.58 and SpamAssassin 3.1.7, I was getting quite a few of the
"SLAVE DIED UNEXPECTEDLY" because of SIGALRM errors (about 1 e-mail in
50 that got scanned by SA).

Since I couldn't figure out exactly where in the SA code things were
screwing up (although it is likely somewhere in
Mail::SpamAssassin::Timeout, since that's the only part of SA that sets
a SIGALRM), I took the advice from a search of the list and disabled
embedded Perl.  The errors went away, and all is happy.

But, I know I am taking a performance hit by using embedded Perl.
Since I don't do that much mail volume, it's not a big deal, yet I'd
like to know exactly what is different between the two modes to see if
it might be worthwhile in the future to try and track down the bug in
SA.

So, is the multiplexor now creating a Perl process for each milter
callback, or for each e-mail or what?

Thanks.

--
Jeff Rife |