[Mimedefang] Re: Problem on attachment name

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Wed Jan 17 09:25:46 EST 2007

Ing. Andrea Vettori wrote:

> if this is an acceptable solution to the company where the
> mimedefang/f-secure installation is, how can I check the condition and
> how can I send the email to the sender ?

I would work around it as follows:  If the virus-scanner returns a tempfail,
then re-run the scanner only on the unpacked MIME parts and not the original
message.  The code would go something like this:

# ==========================================
# Copy original message into work directory
md_copy_orig_msg_to_work_dir_as_mbox_file();

# Scan
($code, $category, $action) = message_contains_virus();
if ($action eq 'tempfail') { # Oops... scanner choked
    # Remove original message from work dir - it might be causing trouble
    unlink('./Work/INPUTMSG');

    # And try again
    ($code, $category, $action) = message_contains_virus();
}

# Now deal with $code, $category, $action as usual.

Meanwhile, I'd also file a bug with the virus-scanner company.  It
should handle the situation more gracefully.