[Mimedefang] Re: compare mimedefang to mailscanner

John Rudd john at rudd.cc
Tue Jan 16 15:10:29 EST 2007

David F. Skoll wrote:

> I'm not trying to say that MIMEDefang
> is better or worse than Mailscanner.  I was just trying to objectively
> (as much as possible!) compare their behaviours under different
> load conditions.

And I would like to second that statement.  I've used both quite a bit
in both home environments and in mission critical production
environments.  I don't think MailScanner is an inferior package.  With
one exception (the order in which it does its checks) it is VERY good at
attacking the anti-virus/anti-spam problem with the strategy it uses.
It's just not the strategy I prefer.

MIMEDefang is _also_ VERY good at attacking that problem with its own
strategy.  It's just not the same strategy that MailScanner uses.  And,
clearly, I prefer MIMEDefang's strategy.

The one thing I would say is a weakness with MIMEDefang is that, as
Scott suggests, there's a little bit of a learning curve if you want to
strike out on your own.  I've been writing a mimedefang-filter that has
an extensive set of "on/off switches" and "config variables" at the
start.  With input from multiple people, that might make an interesting
way to soften the learning curve (and make it all more usable for
non-experts in trying to switch on and off different behaviors).

But the other side of that coin is: if you need that kind of
hand-holding, you might be better off paying for canit-pro.  It uses
MIMEDefang at its core (right? I didn't misinterpret that?), and wraps
around that a support/etc. package.  I'm willing to bet that it ends up
doing a lot of that kind of "softened learning curve" stuff for you.