[Mimedefang] Maybe OT?: RCPT TO: phase has long pause

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Wed Feb 7 12:39:26 EST 2007

I've been noticing problems recently from folks like mindspring (earthlink) and
cbeyond.com that they are timing out when talking to my server.

This is new
because the people have been able to email me in the past... and I really
don't change much on my server often. the only thing of late you've all
seen me rant about is the cmd_read timeout.

So I've been doing some testing just using fabulous old telnet....

where I've been inputting the information (MAIL FROM: RCPT TO: and so on) to
the server by hand and when I use the MindSpring address, the RCPT TO: (me that is)
takes a long time to say ok. I think this is where the other folks might be timing out.

Is this a MD check stalling or Sendmail stalling looking for something at mindspring?

what *I* see at my end is:

Feb  7 10:18:30 bkamen-0 sendmail[12918]: l17GHM1w012918: collect: premature EOM: unexpected close
Feb  7 10:18:30 bkamen-0 sendmail[12918]: l17GHM1w012918: collect: unexpected close on connection from elasmtp-masked.atl.sa.earthlink.net, sender=<n76lima at mindspring.com>
Feb  7 10:18:30 bkamen-0 sendmail[12918]: l17GHM1w012918: from=<n76lima at mindspring.com>, size=0, class=0, nrcpts=1, proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=elasmtp-masked.atl.sa.earthlink.net [209.86.89.68]

What THEY are getting back from mindspring/earthlink is:

> ===============
> A message that you sent has not yet been delivered to one or more of its
> recipients after more than 24 hours on the queue on
> elasmtp-masked.atl.sa.earthlink.net.
>
> The message identifier is:     1HES3L-0000jG-Cz
> The date of the message is:    Tue, 06 Feb 2007 09:16:42 -0600
> The subject of the message is: Re: Preheaters
>
> The address to which the message has not yet been delivered is:
>
>  bkamen at benjammin.net
>    Delay reason: Connection timed out:
>    SMTP timeout while connected to mail.benjammin.net [69.128.98.165] after
> MAIL FROM:<n76lima at mindspring.com> SIZE=2296
>
> No action is required on your part. Delivery attempts will continue for
> some time, and this warning may be repeated at intervals if the message
> remains undelivered. Eventually the mail delivery software will give up,
> and when that happens, the message will be returned to you.

I need to know if I have to chase down sendmail or something in MD/SA...

Thanks!

 -Ben

--
Ben Kamen