[Mimedefang] Greylisting netmask

Jonas Eckerman jonas_lists at frukt.org
Wed Feb 7 09:30:27 EST 2007

Jeff Rife wrote:

> So, if I understand correctly, a new host will be delayed for two retry
> intervals...once when it is tempfailed for being a new host, then again
> by the greylist when it retries the first time.

Some new hosts, yes. Many hosts are excempted from both those
checks, and many mails are excempted from the greylist (more on
the below).

Also, most of the hosts sending mail to us was allready in the
table that lets them bypass those two checks before I enabled the
first tempfail.

 > Although I don't mind the delay of greylisting, for some
 > servers this would put you into the "slow" queue and make
 > that third try occur 4-8 hours after the first.  That
 > long of a delay might be an issue, even at my site where
 > it's more casual than most places.

It was over a year since the last time a user complained about a
delay here.

Generally, most mails aren't delayed at all, and people do accept
the occasional delay as a price for the excellent perfomance of
our spam filter.

Of course, different sites have different mail flows and what
works fine for us might work terribly bad for others.

Please go to
<http://whatever.frukt.org/mimedefangfilter.text.shtml> if you
want to know exactly how it works.

Here's a clip of settings for the greylisting, wich might give
some hints as to the excemptions from the new-host-delay and the
greylist:

---8<---
# If GDB_HostWhite is set, hosts will be whitelisted for that time
# after a mail from them has been accepted. This will be reset
when a mail get
# a spam score greater than GDB_HostReset.
# If GDB_HostBlack is set, a host will be blacklisted for that
time after
# it's very first connection attempt.
#
# If GDB_Subnet is true, only the first 3 octes of the
IP-addresses will be
# used in the greylist.
# If GDB_FromDomain is true, only the domain part of the mail
from: address
# will be used in the greylist.
# If GDB_ToDomain is true, only the domain part of the rcpt to:
address
# will be used in the greylist.
# If GDB_FromStrip is true, some stuff in the user part of the
mail from:
# address will be replaced in order to handle mailinglists and
some other
# stuff better.
# If GDB_ToStrip is true, some stuff in the user part of the rcpt to:
# address will be replaced in order to handle use parameters and
some other
# stuff better.
#
# A list of tests that hosts much match for the greylist to be
used is
# specified as semi-colon separated fields in Greylist.
# If a test is prefixed with "!" or "not " it will count as a
match when
# it doesn't match.
# If it is prefixed with "?" or "except " (before eventual "!" or
"not ")
# a match means that the greylist will not be used.
# The following tests are available:
# Dynamic : Matches on dynamic-looking reverse lookup hostnames.
# Server : Matches on  reverse lookup hostnames looking like
server names.
# DNSBL[:domain,domain,...] : Checks the IP addresses in the
listed DNS
# blacklists. If not blacklists are listed, default lists is used.
# Country<:country_or_code,country_or_code,...> : Matches the top
level part
# of the domain and the country or country coce of origin for the
IP address.
# OperatingSystem<:strings> : Matches against the OS reported by
IP2OS.
# Host<:domain,domain,...> : Matches against the reverse lookup
hostname.
# RelayDB : Matches if IP address has one or more spam in the
relaydb.
# NoSpamDB : Matches if relay or sender has remembered spam in
the nospamdb.
# SentOutDB : Maches if mail looks like a reply to a mail in the
sent out db.
# All : Allways matches.
#
# GDB_Keep, GDB_KeepHost and GDB_KeepMsg tells the cleaner how
long to keep
# in the database records.
#***********************************************************************
Greylist
!rdns;?os:novell;?dnsbl:list.dnswl.org;d;?s;?sodb;!c:se,org;rdb;nsdb
Greylist		dnsbl:combined.njabl.org,dnsbl.sorbs.net
Greylist
dnsbl:dnsbl-3.uceprotect.net,dnsbl-2.uceprotect.net,dnsbl-1.uceprotect.net
GDB_Black		3*60
GDB_Grey		72*60*60
GDB_White		36*24*60*60
GDB_HostWhite		7*24*60*60