[Mimedefang] Sendmail config question

Rob MacGregor rob.macgregor at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 19:19:01 EST 2007

On Dec 26, 2007 8:56 PM,  <WBrown at e1b.org> wrote:
> Forgive the slightly off topic post (MIMEDefang not involved on this
> machine)
>
> I am trying to set up a mail relay for internal use but I do not want it
> to check reverse DNS for PTR records.  Firewall will prevent outside
> systems from connecting to it.  Searching the web, I find lots of sites
> telling me how to enable rDNS, but later versions do it by default.  I
> need to turn it off.
>
> This is a replacement server, with no easy way to gather what clients are
> connecting to it.  The powers that control the DNS server do not want to
> populate the reverse data files with generic PTR records, so I can either
> break things until I can get PTR records in place, or ignore them.

You'll probably get better help on comp.mail.sendmail, however...
AFAIK you have to enable the rDNS requirement.  From the release
notes:

        CONFIG: New FEATURE(`require_rdns') to reject messages from SMTP
                clients whose IP address does not have proper reverse DNS.
                Contributed by Neil Rickert of Northern Illinois University
                and John Beck of Sun Microsystems.

That to me says that rejecting based on the failure to have rDNS isn't
on by default.

--
                 Please keep list traffic on the list.

Rob MacGregor