[Mimedefang] Altering mail attachment using Mime defang

Jonas Eckerman jonas_lists at frukt.org
Sun Dec 23 13:20:10 EST 2007

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Jonas Eckerman wrote:
>> vinita batra wrote:
>>
>>> There is some policy and according to that if mail attachment contains
>>> ms word file , then i need to replace that ms word attchment with new
>>> ms word file.
>>
>>> so can you please give me some piece of code that can replace the mail
>>> attachment(ms word file) with newer attachment(new ms word file).
>>
>>> I am using send mail server.
>>> and i want to use MimeDefang for this purpose.
>>
>> Is there any special reason why you want to do this with MIMEDefang?
>
> He didn't specify this, but I'd guess that he also wants this action
> associated with a 'direction' of mail flow, like all outbound messages.
>  Where else can you catch them?

Well... You could run an extra sendmail (or other) server (on the
same machine) that just queues all mail into a separate spool
dir. Then, instead of having a normal queuerunner deliver those
mail, you put together a perl program that reads the queue and
does strange document replacing before submitting the messages to
the normal sendmail.

Or, you could do as I also suggested. Use MIMEDefang to capture
the messages that needs strange document replacing into a queue,
and the do the actual replacing with a separate program.

>> Unless your document replacing needs to be done during the SMTP
>> conversation I would suggest that you do it after the mail has
>> allready been received, wich means not doing it with MIMEDefang.

> That doesn't work if you are sending - but you could direct outbound
> mail through a different server than inbound to control the impact and
> make it easier to determine which way the message is headed.

With sendmail, you receive (and optionally queue) before you
send. So outbound and inbound both offer the possibility for
processing between receiving and sending if you want to.

Regards
/Jonas

--
Jonas Eckerman, FSDB & Fruktträdet