[Mimedefang] Altering mail attachment using Mime defang

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri Dec 21 13:44:41 EST 2007

Jonas Eckerman wrote:
> vinita batra wrote:
>
>> There is some policy and according to that if mail attachment contains
>> ms word file , then i need to replace that ms word attchment with new
>> ms word file.
>
>> so can you please give me some piece of code that can replace the mail
>> attachment(ms word file) with newer attachment(new ms word file).
>
>> I am using send mail server.
>> and i want to use MimeDefang for this purpose.
>
> Is there any special reason why you want to do this with MIMEDefang?

He didn't specify this, but I'd guess that he also wants this action
associated with a 'direction' of mail flow, like all outbound messages.
  Where else can you catch them?

> Since MIMEDefang processes the mail during the SMTP conversation, it is
> a good idea to avoid lengthy processes that don't have an impact on the
> SMTP conversation.
>
> Unless your document replacing needs to be done during the SMTP
> conversation I would suggest that you do it after the mail has allready
> been received, wich means not doing it with MIMEDefang.

That doesn't work if you are sending - but you could direct outbound
mail through a different server than inbound to control the impact and
make it easier to determine which way the message is headed.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com