[Mimedefang] Greylisting Code on Wiki

Jonas Eckerman jonas_lists at frukt.org
Fri Dec 14 06:56:42 EST 2007

Jan-Pieter Cornet wrote:

>> If you wait until SA is actually needed before loading it, you
>> might save some memory since MIMEDefang tries to reuse the slaves
>> for the same tasks they have allready

>> Combining this with various means to avoid SA for most mails
>> saves more memory.

> Only if you avoid SA, but do allow mails to get to the DATA phase.

Actually, you can save memory even if you don't do that.

This is because MIMEDEfang tries to reuse slaves for commands
they have allready handled. So when a mail has been received, if
there is a free slave that has allready been called to scan a
received mail, mimedefang will use that slave rather than a slave
that hasn't.

If you use greylisting, DNSBLs or any other means to stop mail
before tha data phase, the result (if you have enough min slaves)
is that most slaves might never have to scan a received mail, and
therefore will not need to load SA.

Avoiding SA for as many mails as possible even when they do get
to the DATA phase helps more, but is not necessary. (I do that
to. Mail from systems (or verified (SPF, DKIM) senders) that has
sent a lot of ham but no spam aren't checked by SA here for example.)

Regards
/Jonas

--
Jonas Eckerman, FSDB & Fruktträdet