[Mimedefang] Re: Compiling MD under Solaris 10

Sam Kalet skalet at conectiv.com
Tue Aug 14 13:39:40 EDT 2007

> I have been playing around with Solaris 10 and was
> thinking about testing mail services in a zone.

I do this in our environment.  We run a bunch of Solaris boxes as production
relays and I simulate key components of the production environment for testing
in zones on one physical box.

> What I would like to know from any of the MD/Solaris users
> is whether you used Sun tools to compile MD or did you
> use the ancient version of gcc that came with Solaris.

Neither - I used gcc and perl from sunfreeware.com

> What type of problems did you have doing this.

None, really.  Especially with perl, by using a separate install, you isolate
yourself from changes to the Solaris-bundled perl when patching the system, if
that is a problem in your environment.  It also eases transitions between
Solaris releases as you can continue to use the same perl intepreter and not
have to fight perl module incompatiblity problems.

Enjoy!

Sam