Disclaimers (was Re: [Mimedefang] Content-type charset)

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Wed Apr 4 08:53:15 EDT 2007

Ahmad Cheikh Moussa wrote:

> Therefore we made another decision.

Have you read the policies of this list regarding disclaimers?  See

"NOTE: By posting to the MIMEDefang list, you agree that any
disclaimer, legal boilerplate, or restrictions added to your posting
are null and void, and will have no effect."

If German or UK law absolutely requires a disclaimer on each outgoing
e-mail, and it requires that disclaimer to have effect, then it is
illegal for German or UK citizens to post on the MIMEDefang list.

By posting on the list, you *know* that your mail will be distributed
widely and archived, so saying "Any unauthorised copying of this
message or unauthorised distribution of the information contained
herein is prohibited" is nonsensical.

The disclaimer madness has reached a point where I think someone needs
to challenge disclaimers' enforceability and put a stop to them once
and for all.  I may write code that strips disclaimers from messages
posted to the MIMEDefang list; it'll be difficult to do with 100%
accuracy, but I can add a database of each disclaimer I see on the
list so it never appears more than once. :-)

In future, I may unsubscribe and ban people who insist on appending
disclaimers that I cannot possibly agree to.

(Ahmad, I don't mean to pick on you --- you're certainly not the worst
offender.  However, I would appreciate it if you could forward a copy
of this e-mail to your company's legal department.)