Disclaimers (was Re: [Mimedefang] Content-type charset)

Gordon Henderson gordon at drogon.net
Wed Apr 4 09:26:49 EDT 2007

On Wed, 4 Apr 2007, David F. Skoll wrote:

> Ahmad Cheikh Moussa wrote:
>
>> Therefore we made another decision.
>
> Have you read the policies of this list regarding disclaimers?  See
>
> "NOTE: By posting to the MIMEDefang list, you agree that any
> disclaimer, legal boilerplate, or restrictions added to your posting
> are null and void, and will have no effect."
>
> If German or UK law absolutely requires a disclaimer on each outgoing
> e-mail, and it requires that disclaimer to have effect, then it is
> illegal for German or UK citizens to post on the MIMEDefang list.

I posted on this a while back, but no-one seems to have noticed ;-) (I
think in was in a discussion on boilerplates, etc.)

In the UK, if you're emailling on behalf of your company, or even (AIUI)
using your companys email system, you need to include your company CONTACT
information, not a disclaimer. I do not think disclaimers are mandated by
law in the UK (yet!)

The law is trying to make email have the same status as a paper letter -
which has to have company contact information if it's to hold any weight.

So I guess, technically I may be breaking the law here by not posting my
company information, but I'm not a limited company just a sole-trader (at
present)

Heres a link:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/21/new_web_email_regulation/

So maybe we need to differentiate between (legally mandated) footers and
disclaimers...

Gordon