[Mimedefang] Potential for Business mail servers tonot havereverse DNS

Kees Theunissen theuniss at rijnh.nl
Sun Sep 24 07:38:11 EDT 2006

On Sat, 23 Sep 2006, John Rudd wrote:

>> A SHOULD is _never_ a requirement.
> The section of RFC 1912 that I quoted directly contradicts you.  It lists a
> should, and outlines that the consequence for deviating from the should may be
> denial of service.  Therefore, it specifically states that a should _may_be_ a
> requirement for service.  Period.

<quote of RFC1912.txt>

Network Working Group                                            D. Barr
Request for Comments: 1912             The Pennsylvania State University
Obsoletes: 1537                                            February 1996
Category: Informational

            Common DNS Operational and Configuration Errors

Status of this Memo

   This memo provides information for the Internet community.  This memo
   does not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of
   this memo is unlimited.

</quote>

Of course you are free to accept or reject mail, based on criteria
of your choice. But please don't say that your criteria are
based on internet standards. RFC1912 simply isn't a standard at all.
It's just some kind of a manual to prevent common configuration
and operation errors of the DNS system.

Regards,

Kees.

--
Kees Theunissen
F.O.M.-Institute for PlasmaPhysics "Rijnhuizen", Nieuwegein, Netherlands