[Mimedefang] Setting up a RAM Disk on Freebsd 6.1

Rob MacGregor rob.macgregor at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 03:08:37 EDT 2006

On 9/10/06, Wayne Hahn <wayne at hamilton.net> wrote:
> Does any one have an example of how to setup a 1.5 Gig Ram
> disk on FreeBSD 6.1? I can't seem to find any good
> documentation on it.

Keep in mind that with UFS2 short lived (AFAIK < 1s on average) files
won't get written to disk if you have enough RAM.

>  I setup sendmail with Mimedefang 2.57 and Spamassassin
> 3.1.4. If I load test it and run more then 5 or 6
> concurrent email messages it eats up all of my processors
> and brings my server to its knees. I am running it on an
> AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200 with 2 Gig of ram. I am planning on
> adding more Ram if I can figure out the Ram disk.  I have
> seen wiki with setting up a Ram disk on FreeBSD but I
> believe that was for version 4.

See the mdconfig(8) man page:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=mdconfig&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+6.1-RELEASE&format=html

Though, if it's eating all your processor time, it's unlikely to be a
memory bottleneck.  I'd suggest you look at what you're running the
mails through - it's most likely a problem there.

--
                 Please keep list traffic on the list.

Rob MacGregor