[Mimedefang] Debuging error in SA whitelist path

Kees Theunissen theuniss at rijnh.nl
Fri Oct 20 16:51:04 EDT 2006

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006, Oliver Schulze L. wrote:

> Hi.
> I'm having a problem in Centos 4.4 + SP 3.1.7 + MD 2.57
>
> When the server starts, I get this error:
> Oct 20 08:51:05 mail-server mimedefang-multiplexor[2880]: Slave 0 stderr:
> auto-whitelist: open of auto-whitelist file failed: locker: safe_lock: cannot
> create tmp lockfile
> //.spamassassin/auto-whitelist.lock.mail-server.example.com.2882 for
> //.spamassassin/auto-whitelist.lock: No such file or directory
>
> If I login in a console or via ssh and run:
> # service mimedefang restart
> the problem is solved.

This problem has been mentioned several times on this list during
the last few months. It always seems to be a Redhat system or a
linux ditribution based on Redhat (Centos, Fedora).
I did some grepping for the error message in the SA source, but
my perl knowledge is still way too limmited to find such a bug.

> I'm trying to debug which one is causing this error, MD or SA
> or Sendmail
>
> Any tips?

I think you can leave Sendmail out of this list. If you want to
debug this you realy should look after differences in the run-time
and boot-time environments of Redhat based systems.

Have a look at (URL wrapped):
   http://lists.roaringpenguin.com/pipermail/mimedefang/
         2006-August/030691.html
for a workaround. This workaround might be a starting point for
your debugging.

This is all I can do. It's not much but I hope this helps you
somehow.

Regards,

Kees.

--
Kees Theunissen
F.O.M.-Institute for Plasma Physics Rijnhuizen, Nieuwegein, Netherlands