[Mimedefang] Is a mimedefang restart needed after sa-update?

Kees Theunissen theuniss at rijnh.nl
Thu Oct 19 17:31:04 EDT 2006

Hi all,

I'm wondering if mimedefang should be restarted after updating
the spamassassin rules with sa-update.

On http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/RuleUpdates I found:
    "As usual, if using spamd, a restart is required for the new
    rules to be read in and enabled."
And as an example:
    sa-update && service spamassassin restart

I don't think that there are big differences between spamd and
mimedefang as far as spamassassin rule updates are concerned.
So some action is needed to load the new rules. That is clear.

My question is: should I do a complete restart (stop sendmail,
stop mimedefang, start mimedefang, start sendmail) or is
a simple "md-mx-ctrl reread" sufficient to load the new
SA-rules?

Thanks in advance,

Kees.

--
Kees Theunissen
F.O.M.-Institute for Plasma Physics Rijnhuizen, Nieuwegein, Netherlands