[Mimedefang] Relay: Reject emails after receiving DATA negative result code from destination host?

Jan-Pieter Cornet johnpc at xs4all.nl
Wed Oct 18 07:32:52 EDT 2006

On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 12:28:40PM +0200, Benoit Panizzon wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I use MIMEDefang as a Relay in front of other mailservers.
>
> I do a md_check_against_smtp_server to check if the sender/recipient pair is
> valid. So I can reject emails to invalid recipients directly without need to
> bounce them.
>
> Now I have come across the situation where I have a server which also does
> some basic filtering and rejects emails after the 'DATA' part. At the moment
> I have to send a bounce for those emails which, in case of unrecognized spam,
> is sent to the fake address.

No, that's not possible. MIMEDefang doesn't do the actual delivery
of the email, that is the job of sendmail. Your best bet is probably
to copy (most of) the access rules that are present in the "other"
mailer. MIMEDefang can easily block exe files, for example.

(That said, I'm trying to do the same, by moving the actual delivery
to MIMEDefang. "Impossible" is not in my dictionary. This will be a huge
speedup improvement, especially since it's combined with md_check_against_
smtp_server anyway, but it will be quite hairy to get the details right).

--
Jan-Pieter Cornet <johnpc at xs4all.nl>
!! Disclamer: The addressee of this email is not the intended recipient. !!