[Mimedefang] Relay: Reject emails after receiving DATA negative result code from destination host?

Benoit Panizzon benoit.panizzon at imp.ch
Wed Oct 18 06:28:40 EDT 2006

Hi all

I use MIMEDefang as a Relay in front of other mailservers.

I do a md_check_against_smtp_server to check if the sender/recipient pair is
valid. So I can reject emails to invalid recipients directly without need to
bounce them.

Now I have come across the situation where I have a server which also does
some basic filtering and rejects emails after the 'DATA' part. At the moment
I have to send a bounce for those emails which, in case of unrecognized spam,
is sent to the fake address.

Example:

HOST A => MIMEDefang => HOST B

** HOST A Connects to MIMEDefang.
<= mail from:<foo at example.ch>
=> 200 OK
<= rcpt to:<baa at exmaple.com>
** check_recipient md_check_against_smtp_server connecting to HOST B
=> 200 OK
<= DATA
=> 200 OK send your DATA
<= da...................ta (including attachement)
** MIMEDefang does not find anything bad and return 200 QUEUED to HOST A
=> 550 EXE Files not accepted on HOST B
** MIMEDefang has to bounce as it already accepted the mail from HOST A

Is there a way to delay the 200 Queued message until I get the return code to
'DATA' from HOST B to pass this code to HOST A?

Regards

Benoit Panizzon
--
I m p r o W a r e   A G    -    System Services