[Mimedefang] Odd startup behaviour - closer

Albert E. Whale aewhale at ABS-CompTech.com
Wed Nov 22 20:01:02 EST 2006

Albert E. Whale wrote:
> I have recompiled the 2.56 branch of mimedefang, as the upgrade to
> 2.58 created an unstable result.  Now, even the 2.56 branch is an
> unstable beast.  The problem is exhibited on startup of mimedefang.
> Without a load the 4 children (configured minimum) grow their RSS to
> 1.0G+ and consume 25% of the CPU equally.  Normally this leads to a
> run-away condition that can only be stabilized by stopping mimedefang
> manually (load averages of 25+ do not respond to the subsystem
> shutdown commands).
>
> The Features options represents a fairly normal output, when compared
> to similar servers.
>
> There are no errors in the Logs, in fact the syslog indicates normal
> startup.
>
> I have tried all of the debugging methods that I can think of.  I do
> not understand my mimedefang will go into a run away state, when
> sendmail is not started.  Can anyone offer a suggestion?  I am certain
> that there is a conflict somewhere (perhaps even permissions issues),
> but I have exhausted my debugging on this issue.

I  hate replying to my own posts, but perhaps this will help some one
else in their debugging efforts as well.  While compiling the mimedefang
package, I have identified the following:

mimedefang.c: In function 'rcptto':
mimedefang.c:967: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of
'writestr' d
iffer in signedness
mimedefang.c:969: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of
'writestr' d
iffer in signedness
mimedefang.c:971: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of
'writestr' d
iffer in signedness
mimedefang.c:973: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of
'writestr' d
iffer in signedness
mimedefang.c:975: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of
'writestr' d
iffer in signedness
mimedefang.c: In function 'header':
mimedefang.c:1030: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of
'writestr'

There are many of these errors, now to track the source of this down.

--
Albert E. Whale, CHS CISA CISSP
Sr. Security, Network, Risk Assessment and Systems Consultant