[Mimedefang] Odd startup behaviour

Albert E. Whale aewhale at ABS-CompTech.com
Wed Nov 22 19:00:32 EST 2006

I have recompiled the 2.56 branch of mimedefang, as the upgrade to 2.58
created an unstable result.  Now, even the 2.56 branch is an unstable
beast.  The problem is exhibited on startup of mimedefang.  Without a
load the 4 children (configured minimum) grow their RSS to 1.0G+ and
consume 25% of the CPU equally.  Normally this leads to a run-away
condition that can only be stabilized by stopping mimedefang manually
(load averages of 25+ do not respond to the subsystem shutdown commands).

The Features options represents a fairly normal output, when compared to
similar servers.

There are no errors in the Logs, in fact the syslog indicates normal
startup.

I have tried all of the debugging methods that I can think of.  I do not
understand my mimedefang will go into a run away state, when sendmail is
not started.  Can anyone offer a suggestion?  I am certain that there is
a conflict somewhere (perhaps even permissions issues), but I have
exhausted my debugging on this issue.

--
Albert E. Whale, CHS CISA CISSP
Sr. Security, Network, Risk Assessment and Systems Consultant