[Mimedefang] DNS and MX records

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Wed May 10 20:55:15 EDT 2006

Wilco wrote:

> For example: during the registration process IDNL (the Dutch .nl
> registry) will check for valid MX's; if these don't exist an error
> message is generated.

Why?  I am unaware of any RFCs that require a domain to accept e-mail.

Does the Dutch registry periodically recheck?  Because it would
be pretty easy to throw out the MX records once the domain has been
registered.

> (I still try to conform to each domain having at least one reachable
> (human) postmaster address.

That's a good idea, but if a domain doesn't accept or send e-mail, then
I would think that accurate WHOIS information would be sufficient.