[Mimedefang] Multiplexor dies, leaving its slaves clueless behind...

Larry Starr larrys at fullcompass.com
Wed May 3 11:47:25 EDT 2006

On Tuesday 02 May 2006 15:51, Bjarte Husebø wrote:
> David F. Skoll wrote:
> > Doh... that's a segfault.  You'll need to convince your system to
> > generate a core file to have any hope of diagnosing this.
>
> Thanks for your fast response. Unfortunately, analyzing core dumps is
> probably far beyond my expertise. :-\
>
> Cormack, Ken wrote:
> > If this is a linux machine, I know of two circumstances under which
> > you'll see this...
> > 1.)	Bad memory (try swapping out the memory modules)
> > 2.)	If you've over-clocked the system, you're pushing it too fast.
>
> I'm running FreeBSD 6.0 on a Pentium III that is about 3-4 years old. No
> piece is overclocked.
>
> Bad memory might be the reason for my problems - although I did run
> Memtest86+ on it before I installed FreeBSD.

I tried to keep quiet ... Just couldn't do it.

Signal 11 (Segfault) is nearly always a Program bug (Accessing memory that is
not allocated to the current process, frequently address zero, usually
related to a pointer being used that has not been set correctly).   It is,
nearly, impossible that it points to a hardware (memory, overclocking, etc.)
problem.

I'd recommend trying to produce a core file and accept Davids' help.  That
will, very likely, lead to a real diagnosis, and correction, of the problem.

Larry G. Starr - larrys at fullcompass.com or starrl at globaldialog.com
Software Engineer: Full Compass Systems LTD.
Phone: 608-831-7330 x 1347  FAX: 608-831-6330