[Mimedefang] List troubles

Sven Schuster schuster.sven at gmx.de
Fri Mar 31 17:36:53 EST 2006

Hi Matthew, John, everybody :-),

On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 01:41:37PM -0800, Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com told us:
> John Rudd wrote:
> > At home, where I'm behind a NAT box, I can just pick which port
> > sendmail will run on, and have the NAT box direct to that port.  I
> > think at work, our load balancer could do something similar.
>
> Just in case people are listening and want to try this...
> This technique is "PAT" (Port/Address Translation), which not every NAT box can do.  Make sure you get a PAT-capable box if you want to do this.

just taking this thought of DNAT (iptables jargon) a little further,
one might even let sendmail run on, say port 1025, 2525, whatever,
and use iptables' REDIRECT target (or whatever insert-your-favorite-os
gives you similar) to redirect traffic destined for port 25 on the
local box to the port sendmail is actually running on.

just my 2 cents

have a nice day :-)

Sven

--
Linux zion.homelinux.com 2.6.16-mm2_30 #30 Fri Mar 31 23:23:52 CEST 2006 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
 00:32:45 up 6 min,  2 users,  load average: 0.29, 0.57, 0.35