[Mimedefang] Is it possible to change envelope "from" ?

Jan Pieter Cornet johnpc at xs4all.nl
Wed Mar 29 15:41:11 EST 2006

On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 08:43:23PM +0200, Christoph wrote:
> Hello ,
>  the syntax of the Envelope from looks like :
> <"GROUPWARE,Inc.#SMTP#"GROUPWARE__Inc."@mail.vresp.com"@Mgr.mydomain.com>

That is not rfc compliant. I bet that "Mgr.mydomain.com" (which is likely
a placeholder for the real domain?) is added by your own server, possibly
because it thinks the "address" given is just a funny-looking user part,
in double quotes.

My guess is that the sender meant to use <"GROUPWARE__Inc."@mail.vresp.com>,
which is a valid RFC compliant sender address, albeit a bit weird. At
least the MX for mail.vresp.com says "250 ok" on that address, but it
seems to accept any address there... so that doesn't say much.

> The internal Mailserver is a Lotus Domino 6.5.5 Server.
> Rejecting is not a solution !

Yes it is. Flaming the sender to fix his buggy crap is the real
solution. If for whatever reason something goes wrong and the mail
decides to bounce after you changed the envelope sender, the bounces
end up at the wrong location.

> A way to solve the problem might be to drop the mail and generate a new mail
> based on the old entitys.... not very nice :-(

I would seriously recommend against it, but it is possible. Just tell
sendmail to discard the email, and resend it, for example using
resend_message, after changing $Sender. Make sure you know what you
are doing, the sender you specify _will_ be notified if something
goes wrong, make sure there is something behind that address that
can use it.

--
Jan-Pieter Cornet <johnpc at xs4all.nl>
!! Disc lamer: The addressee of this email is not the intended recipient. !!