[Mimedefang] SpamAssassin Code Quality (was Re: Mimedefang 2.56 and SA 3.1.1 - Idle slaves)

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Thu Mar 16 16:49:32 EST 2006

Kevin A. McGrail wrote:

> I fear you've gone over my head with this comment.  Is there an easy fix you
> can point me in the direction and I can look at changing it?

It's not really a bug, it's just bad style.

Perl best practices dictate that a file called Foo/Bar/Quux.pm should
only add to the namespace of the Foo::Bar::Quux package, or perhaps
some package under Foo::Bar::Quux.

For a file called Mail/SpamAssassin/Dns.pm to decide to create subroutines
in the Mail::SpamAssassin::PerMsgStatus package is... well... smelly. :-)

I would guess that if you filed a bug with the SpamAssassin developers
about this issue, it wouldn't get very far because of "backward
compatibility" concerns.