[Mimedefang] Config format preferences

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Sat Mar 11 15:43:45 EST 2006

Hi.

I'm working on a prototype mimedefang-filter example modeled after
what we've been using here with fairly good success.

A few questions before I go too far down a dead-end, however...

Any preferences in formats for config files?  I was thinking of
using Config::General, but then XML seemed reasonable too...

I was thinking of something like:

<countries>
action reject
message This country has been blacklisted.
cc jp pl kr cn tw bu sk ro ru pt ch mx ap br
</countries>

<ipv4>
action reject
message This network has been blacklisted.
cidr 66.64.0.0/14
<host 66.65.38.3>
action continue
</host 66.65.38.3>
cidr 24.12.0.0/15
cidr 58.88.0.0-58.95.255.255
</ipv4>

etc.

Cidr blocks would inherit the properties of the current nesting level...

I was going to use IP::Country::Fast to identify the countries.  Haven't used
this before.  Not sure how well it works, how fast it is, or what sort of
network traffic it generates.

I'll add some instrumentation and start collecting data.

Any comments on usability, simplicity, etc?

Thanks,

-Philip