[Mimedefang] Verify sender domain (rewrite?) on outgoing mail

Larry Starr larrys at fullcompass.com
Fri Mar 10 14:17:18 EST 2006

I have recently run into a problem, that I'm having a little difficulty
correcting.

I run a Debian Mail server:
	sendmail 8.13.4
	mimedefang 2.5.1

Sendmail is configured with:
	MASQUERADE_AS(`fullcompass.com')dnl
	MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(`fullcompass.com')dnl
	FEATURE(`allmasquerade')dnl
	FEATURE(masquerade_entire_domain)dnl
	FEATURE(`masquerade_envelope')dnl
	FEATURE(limited_masquerade)dnl
	FEATURE(relay_entire_domain)dnl

I discovered, by accident, that outgoing mail, with a non-local domainname,
for the sender (accidentially misspelled in this case), is relayed without
complaint.

The misspelled domain does resolve on the internet.

I have not been able to figure out how to cause sendmail to either reject, or
rewrite, the sender in this case.

Mimedefang is configured with "filter_sender" which currently verifies that
address, which claim to be from my domains are actually from an IP address in
my domains.  I am considering adding reverse tests, to verify that mail from
one of my IP addresses actually claims to be from one of my domains.

Since I don't believe that filter_sender can rewrite the address (this would
be acceptable in this case), I think I would have to REJECT the message.

Can anyone suggest a better solution?

Thank you,
Larry G. Starr - larrys at fullcompass.com or starrl at globaldialog.com
Software Engineer: Full Compass Systems LTD.
Phone: 608-831-7330 x 1347  FAX: 608-831-6330