[Mimedefang] Simplified single purpose mimedefang-filter

Jan-Pieter Cornet johnpc at xs4all.nl
Fri Jun 23 17:48:37 EDT 2006

On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 12:01:11PM -0500, reader at newsguy.com wrote:
> I'm on a single user machine and want to debug my mail setup.  Certain
> mail leaves but never appears at its destination.  It is not being
> rejected at my local MTA level  nor my ISP smart host.
>
> I don't have any say on ISP smart host so:
>
> I want to see *EXACTLY* what this mail contains as it leaves my mta.
> I want a copy of my test mails dropped somewhere just as they appear
> going to smarthost hub.

Install ethereal, snoop your network on port 25, and use the
"follow TCP stream" feature of ethereal to save the outgoing
mail to disk.

It won't supply you with mbox-ready files (there are other snooping
tools that do that, though), but in a way, this is better...

If you have a decent ISP, you can ask them for the logs corresponding
to a certain message-id, or transaction-id (usually mail servers give
you the transaction ID when the mail is accepted). Your sendmail log
should include that.

--
Jan-Pieter Cornet <johnpc at xs4all.nl>
!! Disc lamer: The addressee of this email is not the intended recipient. !!