[Mimedefang] Should I try to do MIMEDefang with Mailscanner forbackup MX

John Rudd john at rudd.cc
Thu Jun 22 02:46:13 EDT 2006

On Jun 21, 2006, at 11:19 AM, Atanas wrote:

> Steve Campbell said the following on 6/21/06 5:52 AM:
>>
>> Same again. I would like to just use MIMEDefang to throw away invalid
>> users, no matter which server they enter my system on, primary or
>> secondary MX.
>>
> Why don't you just use sendmail to trow them away? As others already
> pointed that out, you could provision your primary access database(s)
> the secondary (or make the secondary use the primary's access.db over a
> TCP socket) and have sendmail do the rejecting without bothering
> MIMEDefang.
>
> Doing so with MIMEDefang via md_check_against_smtp_server would impose
> additional overhead (especially on high volume servers) and useless log
> entries.

And, if that's the _only_ piece of MIMEDefang that you want (running
md_check_agasint_smtp_server in filter_recipient), then you can get the
same functionality, with less over head (I think), from milter-ahead.

(I do that in MD, but that's because I'm also doing a bunch of other
things in filter_sender, and such ... if that one piece was all I
wanted/needed, I'd just use milter-ahead)