[Mimedefang] Getting MIMEDefang to ignore .zip files andcontents

Kayne Kruse kkruse at pointone.com
Wed Jul 19 10:31:03 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-07-19 at 14:35 +0100, Paul Rawlings wrote:

> Can anybody point me in the right direction to possibly configure the
> MIMEDefang system so that if it sees a .zip attachment it totally
> ignores it and allows it through no matter what it can see inside the
> .zip?
> Maybe even to see a .zip and not even attempt to look inside it and let
> it past?

I think this is a bad bad idea.  You never know what could be sent
inside zip files.

The code your probably looking for to comment out:

    # Look inside ZIP files
    if (re_match($entity, '\.zip$') and
        $Features{"Archive::Zip"}) {
        my $bh = $entity->bodyhandle();
        if (defined($bh)) {
            my $path = $bh->path();
            if (defined($path)) {
                return re_match_in_zip_directory($path,
        }
    }

This ONLY reflects whats in the standard filter supplied with the
software.  If your admin changed it, it could be signifigantly
different.

Hope you have some mandatory way of scanning these when your users
recieve them on their desktops.

KK