Secondary MX (was Re: [Mimedefang] What is the order of things thatoccur)

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Jul 12 16:03:40 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 10:39 -0400, Steve Campbell wrote:

> In my case, the secondary MX is acting as a second gateway to my primary
> MX+mailstore. The primary is highly available. But because it is a published
> MX, it attracks spam. The "designed" purpose of md_check_against_smtp_server
> is, in some ways, being used correctly here, as it does what it should do
> when you consider it is running on a gateway. It's the design of my mail
> system that is not being used properly. And the distributed user base would
> fix that. Unfortunately, the 'suits' won't let me fix that for now. (Maybe
> I'll just do it behind their backs)

Why don't you move _both_ MX receivers to different machines, leaving
your 'highly available' delivery server to serve real users while the
spam fighting happens elsewhere?  Then the check_against_smtp_server
will work against the user base as it should and if one or the other
of the MX gateways has a problem the failover will take care of it.
If you are currently having enough trouble with the primary server
to have noticed it, a plan with a good chance of fixing the problem
should justify the extra box to the suits.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com