[Mimedefang] md_check_against_smtp_server and down server?

Damrose, Mark mdamrose at elgin.edu
Fri Jul 7 15:25:34 EDT 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: Kayne Kruse

On Fri, 2006-07-07 at 14:42 -0400, Damrose, Mark wrote:

>> With per user rules, you need to put "domain.com"
>> in /etc/mail/relay-domains.

> One would think logically, that since those are allowed to relay,
> wouldnt that seem irrelevant to have to put them into relay-domains?

Keep in mind, that you as a human automatically keep those sorts of context.  A computer only keeps the context it's been told to keep.

As near as I can guess (based on observed behavior - haven't read the code) sendmail makes the decisions about relaying and recipients seperately.  In your original case, you had:
domain.com<tab>RELAY

sendmail does not know anything about the validity of any users at this point, so skips the recipient check and only applies the relay check.

When you changed to
domain.com<tab>REJECT
to:user at domain.com<tab>RELAY

RELAY isn't a valid state for a user, so it ignores that.  So the only valid info it has is that every user at domain.com is bad.

Since your two MX servers are allowed to relay, you may get away with doing:
domain.com<tab>REJECT
to:user at domain.com<tab>OK

For the general case that mimedefang is running on the MX server, you need the domain in relay-domains to allow relay.

Once you get this to work, please consider adding an example to the Wiki.  We have a couple of examples of pulling data from an Exchange server, but no Lotus.