Ratware and failures (was Re: [Mimedefang] Question for the HOWTO page)

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Tue Jan 24 20:45:56 EST 2006

Philip Prindeville wrote:

> Why?  Well, if the ratware sees enough rejections, I'm hoping they
> will eventually decide that it's not worth the resources to try to send
> me mail and will eventually delete me from their mailing list.

Very unlikely.  In my experience, spammers don't bother cleaning
their lists.  Heck, greylisting is still effective after three years,
so that should tell you something about how ratware deals with failures.

> I'm running FC3, and modified spamassassin and sendmail, the latter
> as:

> INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`mimdefang',
> `S=local:/var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang.sock, F=T, T=S:1m;R:1m')
> INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`spamassassin', `S=local:/var/run/spamassassin/sock,
> F=, T=C:15m;S:4m;R:4m;E:10m')

Is there a reason you don't call SpamAssassin from within MIMEDefang?
Just curious; it seems to me it's easier to code business logic in
Perl than as a sequence of milters.