[Mimedefang] Slaves dying unexpectedly with signal 14

Roland Pope rpope at jadeworld.com
Wed Jan 18 02:37:31 EST 2006

Hi All,

I posted an email some time back asking about MD slaves that were
unexpectedly terminating with a signal 14. David Skoll mentioned at the time
that it was possibly a perl module generating this signal 14 which was
somehow not being handled and was causing the slaves to die.
At the time, I upgraded a few of the perl modules, and the problem seemed to
go away.
Unfortunately, it is back.
Once the errors start occuring, a restart seems to stop it happening for a
time, but eventually, it returns. This error is occuring on two seperate
mail exchangers (Which are running the same software versions).
I am running mimedefang 2.53 under CentOS linux 3.6
Can anyone give me any pointers at all as to how I can go about further
tracking down what is generating these signal 14's?? Can I arm some sort of
signal handler in my filter and generate some sort of trace back?
Any sort of help would be appreciated.
The log messages I am getting are as follows:
<snip>
Jan 18 19:00:57 hosta mimedefang-multiplexor[6464]: Slave 4 died
prematurely -- check your filter rules
Jan 18 19:00:57 hosta mimedefang-multiplexor[6464]: Reap: Idle slave 4 (pid
10634) exited due to signal 14 (SLAVE DIED UNEXPECTEDLY)
Jan 18 19:00:57 hosta mimedefang-multiplexor[6464]: Slave 4 resource usage:
req=44, scans=8, user=14.830, sys=1.360, nswap=0, majflt=10062,
minflt=111990, maxrss=0, bi=0, bo=0
Jan 18 19:00:57 hosta mimedefang[6477]: Error from multiplexor: ERR No
response from slave
</snip>

Thanks
Roland