[Mimedefang] poor performence from SA

ms at interspace.net ms at interspace.net
Thu Jan 12 10:15:03 EST 2006

Thanks Alan for you reply.
Let me shed some light on the configuration, i was getting desperate and was
mambling on how poor i am... :-)

I have sendmail 8.13.4 running on debian 3.1.
I install clamAV 0.87.1
and MimeDefang 2.54
I upgraded SA to 3.1 via: perl -MCPAN -e 'install MAIL::SPAMASSASIN'.
I made some custom made rules in mimedefang-filter.
SO as i see it it goes like this:
Mail arrive at the MTA (sendmail) -> mimedefang steps in and send it to
clam ->
   clam returns 'ok' -> mimedefang submit it to SA -> if not spam return to
->mimedefang -> check custom rules -> local delivery.

I was wondering...should spamd be running??? I know mimedefang uses
spamassassin
even without it running...what is the proper way??
Should I see the headers of X-spam-status X-spam-version X-spam-level
before or
after X-scaned by: mimedefang????????

> Did you install spamass-milter during your 3.1 install?
Don't think so?? how would i check that??
>> I stop about 1000 spam mail per day and get about 3000 legit mail per
>> day (some of it SPAM!!)
>
> are you saying that you block about 1000 spam per day and receive 3000
> per day, some of which is spam?
> by definition legit mail != SPAM.
What i ment was that spam gets through so the number 3000 does include spam
(i've taken to numbers from graphdefang).
[snip]
>> [quote]
>>        MSGID_FROM_MTA_ID autolearn=no version=3.0.3
>> [end quote]
>> this was from the spamdrop mailbox!! why is it there is the spam-status
>> is NO
>> ???
>
> for one thing, this still shows it was scanned with version 3.0.3. are
> you sure that you properly upgraded to 3.1? make sure that any
> pre-existing 3.0.3 installation has been successfully removed.
Sorry i cut the wrong header from a privious mail, here is a more current one:
        USER_IN_WHITELIST_TO autolearn=no version=3.1.0

What i don't get is why is this mail in spamdrop??? it says clearly
"Spam-Status: No..." ????

> what are you using to move the mail to your spamdrop? are you
> quarantining the mail in mimedefang? are you pre-sorting to a different
> folder using something like procmail? are you just discarding the mail?
No procmail...mail is delivered to spamdrop by mimedefang sub filter_end.

> we're a little short of useful information here.
Hope that helps understanding...

Waiting you're insights...

Meni