[Mimedefang] 40K+ emails a day and choking

Rick Mallett rmallett at ccs.carleton.ca
Tue Jan 10 17:03:40 EST 2006

What else is running on the box? Are you running a POP server or the
UW IMAP server by any chance? If so, your performance problems could
be due to excessive "checking for new mail" by poorly configured
and/or designed email clients (eg. Outlook Express).

We've been experiencing high load factors on a similar machine, and
for the longest time thought it was due to MD and SA, but realized it
was POP and IMAP server activity when we happened to notice that the
load factor was down on weekends and at night despite the fact that
there was just as much incoming mail at those times. You won't see
this using top or prstat, BTW, but you should see it by analyzing the
POP/IMAP server logs.

- rick