[Mimedefang] 40K+ emails a day and choking

Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com
Tue Jan 10 16:38:30 EST 2006

Stephen Ford wrote:
> I'm running Solaris 9 on a dual processor 220R with 2
> gigs of ram and the box is having trouble keeping up
> with spam!?!?

> I'm going to add a local dns

That's a necessity - a caching-only server is fine

> Oh, and yes /var/spool/MIMEDefang is swap.

Good

> Any sug

Yes

* use spamd to save memory
http://www.mimedefang.org/kwiki/index.cgi?SpamassassinSpamcSpamd

* AV first
You mentioned you scan for viruses - do you do that before or after scanning for spam?
If you scan after, move it to before.  Use clamav-milter on the same box and save an expensive MIMEDefang thread.  (Make sure the milter order puts clamav-milter first.)

* /tmp swap too
SpamAssassin uses /tmp as a helper directory for all of its plugins.  Make sure that's also a RAM disk (I believe that's the default for Solaris anyway?)

--
Matthew.van.Eerde (at) hbinc.com               805.964.4554 x902
Hispanic Business Inc./HireDiversity.com       Software Engineer