[Mimedefang] 40K+ emails a day and choking

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Tue Jan 10 16:35:20 EST 2006

Stephen Ford wrote:

> I'm running Solaris 9 on a dual processor 220R with 2
> gigs of ram and the box is having trouble keeping up
> with spam!?!?

I hate to say this, but switch from SPARC to a commodity Intel box.
Intel and AMD chips far outperform SPARC for the kind of processing
MIMEDefang/SpamAssassin do.  Even a mid-range dual Xeon at 2.4GHz with
a couple of gigs of RAM can handle 40K emails/day with ease.

Before you throw out your SPARC box, though, try reducing your max from
90 down to 50.  If the MIMEDefang scanners start swapping, you're toast,
and my new rule of thumb is around 40MB/scanner.