[Mimedefang] 40K+ emails a day and choking

Stephen Ford stephenmford at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 10 16:26:20 EST 2006

I'm running Solaris 9 on a dual processor 220R with 2
gigs of ram and the box is having trouble keeping up
with spam!?!?  I am using all the bells and whistles
spamassassin and mimedefang can have, minus the virus
protection (another box handles that).  I have a
min/max of 20/90 for mimedefang and I'm no longer
hitting a max number of files open ceiling......  I'd
say 90% of our email is spam (we are a small college
with ~3000 email accounts) with scores averaging 20
and above :-/

I'm going to add a local dns (even though the dns
doesn't appear to be the bottle neck) and perhaps host
a dcc server.....  I can also setup another box and
round robin them but I shouldn't *have to* should I?

Oh, and yes /var/spool/MIMEDefang is swap.

Any sug