[Mimedefang] Re: Limiting access to "everybody" alias

Dirk the Daring dirk at psicorps.org
Thu Feb 9 17:21:14 EST 2006

>------------------------------
>
>From: Kenneth Porter <shiva at sewingwitch.com>
>
>I'd like to provide an "all hands" alias for my office so that company
>officers can send out announcements. MD seems like it would be a good place
>to lock down this alias to keep others from abusing it. Does anyone have a
>good recipe for implementing this kind of limitation?
>
>I have a similar requirement for my online game team, which plays numerous
>games. I have an alias for each game that goes to the list of players
>involved with that game, and I don't want spammers abusing these addresses.

re-inventing this functionality in MIMEDefang, you use either MajorDomo
or Mailman. The former is probably easier to set up and like MIMEDefang
it uses Perl, but it lacks a web-based interface and its administration
can be cumbersome.

   Mailman has a web-based interface and a lot of features that
MajorDomo lacks, but relies on Python (as opposed to Perl) and is harder
to set up (IMHO, having done both). Of the two, I prefer Mailman (I used
MajorDomo for 9 years, and promptly kicked it to the curb when I
discovered Mailman).